Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fun Facts About Domestic Violence In The US

I was at the local Police Dept last week for some business regarding a creepy guy ... I was filing a report to start that important paper trail....

Anyway, I grabbed a pamphlet whilst waiting for the officer to see me. It was called Domesticv Violence, The Hidden Crime.  Catchy title.  It stated as many as many as 4 million women in this country suffer some kind of violence at the hands of their boyfriends or husbands each year. 


yet very few tell anyone.   They all share feelings of helplessness, isolation, guilt, fear and shame.


Boy that is so true!   Some dont even realise they are being abused at fiirst, or ever.  They buy the lie that if they were just better, prettier, nicer, a better cook, not so dumb, not so stupid, not so worthless, he wouldnt have to hit them.   Sound familiar girls??

I was there.  I fell for it.  I was a strong independent person, did not believe all that rot about myself, or so I thought. But deep down, I must have had some belief that maybe he was right.

 Things did not get better until I left. There were no shelters , no laws against beating spouses or girlfriends back then.  There were no laws against marital rape.

 I had to be the one to save myself and it is hard girlfriend.  But you can do it.  I know it is dangerous and scary and you might get hurt running...  contact your local hotline. They can help counsel you  in how to do it in the safest way, get you to an anonmyous shelter. Dont let your pride slow you, you will not save or fix the rat bastard.  Once a beater always a beater.  and your children grow up believing this a normal functioning relationship.  dont let them suffer.


No comments:

Post a Comment