Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Disclosing Dissociative Identity Disorder: I Can't Tell You. You Don't Understand. | Dissociative Living - HealthyPlace#more-431

Disclosing Dissociative Identity Disorder: I Can't Tell You. You Don't Understand. Dissociative Living - HealthyPlace#more-431
This writer has a series on another disorder that scares people ( ie peoples fears are based on ignorance) I encourage you to read on to understand some of the stigmas and the difficulty of living with any disorder. This one is misunderstood in part to the movies like Sybil or Three Faces of Eve.  I encourage to read through the 4 part series after this one... she has them linked. It was a quick and interesting read.

Disassociation happens mainly as a defensive mechanism for children of abuse/trauma and becomes an integrated part of dealing with any stressors in life. When things threaten a survivor, they will often "go away" in their mind....

Problem is, doctors can't even agree on if it is an illness or if it exsists! For those who suffer from it or get slapped with this label, it does. Lots of times someone will find them selves pointing at the screen saying "thats me" that is what I do etc. I bring these things to you readers to help you broaden your knowledge, your compassion, your horizons.

If nothing else, it will make you grateful you only have first class problems to deal with.. worming the dog, worrying about how to pay for college twelve years from now.

2 comments:

  1. wonderful post, Cindy! I have dissociative spells often due to PTSD. It's a real as the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! I know what you mean.. but others dont get it huh? I love that post earlier where the link is to stop minimizing ( works for all mental illness really...)

    ReplyDelete